2009 Report Highlights International Clinical Innovation and Community-Building Efforts
DENVER, Jul 28, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) --
DaVita Inc. (NYSE:DVA), a leading provider of kidney care services for those diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (CKD), today released its second annual corporate social responsibility (CSR) report, which highlights the company's philanthropic, sustainability and community-building efforts through 2009.
The 40-page report, titled Community Care, draws on DaVita's(R) 30-plus programs developed by teammates (employees) to enrich the lives of patients and other community members. Each of the initiatives falls into one of three categories that comprise the company's "Trilogy of Care" -- caring for DaVita's patients, DaVita's teammates and the world. The report also outlines the company's clinical leadership and efforts to innovate ways to improve patient outcomes and quality of life.
"DaVita strives to be a leader in American health care, and our Community Care report is a reflection of our progress toward that goal," said Kent Thiry, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of DaVita. "This report helps us assess where DaVita stands each year in terms of balancing our business goals with our social, educational and environmental ones."
The 2009 report highlights how DaVita has bolstered its CSR programs and clinical initiatives during the calendar year, including the following:
- DaVita has improved clinical outcomes year over year for the last 10 years.
- In its first year, DaVita's catheter-reduction initiative was directly linked to reducing hospitalizations among patients by 15-20 percent, which translates to significant taxpayer savings.
- DaVita was the only dialysis provider on the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA's) Fortune 500(R) list of the largest green-power purchasers, ranking 36th. DaVita was also the first Fortune 500(R) Health Care Services Company to join EPA Green Power Partnership.
- DaVita launched its National Minority Bank Investment Initiative by depositing several million dollars in banks to help spur economic growth and revitalization in underserved, high-risk U.S. communities.
- Teammates that have immediate, out-of-pocket needs during a time of crisis have been granted more than $1.5 million through the DaVita Village Network, which is funded by voluntary teammate contributions that are matched by DaVita.
Raising Awareness about Kidney Disease
- Nonprofit Bridge of Life - DaVita Medical Missions(TM), an independent non-profit founded by DaVita, has delivered more than 6,300 dialysis treatments to communities in Cameroon, India, Ecuador and the Philippines where dialysis was not readily available or affordable.
- DaVita has raised more than $2.5 million to benefit The Kidney TRUST(TM), an independent nonprofit founded by DaVita to provide public education and no-cost, rapid-result kidney screenings.
To download the 2009 Community Care report on DaVita's CSR programs, please visitwww.davita.com/communitycare.
DaVita is a registered trademark of DaVita Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
About DaVita Inc.
DaVita Inc., a Fortune 500(R) company, is a leading provider of kidney care in the United States, delivering dialysis services and education to patients with chronic kidney failure and end stage renal disease. As of March 31, 2010, DaVita operated or provided administrative services at 1,544 outpatient dialysis facilities, serving approximately 119,000 patients. DaVita develops, participates in and donates to numerous programs dedicated to transforming communities and creating positive, sustainable change for children, families and our environment. The company's leadership development initiatives and corporate social responsibility efforts have been recognized by Fortune,Modern Healthcare, Newsweek and WorldBlu, among others. For more information, please visitwww.davita.com.
SOURCE: DaVita Inc.
Jessica Joffe-Stein, 310-536-2465